Open Office Space Design: Pros and Cons
Open office space design are currently being applied by many businesses to arrange workspaces for employees. So what are the characteristics of open office design? Follow along in the article below to know more details.
What is an open office space design?
An open space office is understood as the common working place of all departments and divisions in the company. In this space, there will be no separating walls or separate rooms. Everyone will work together in a common office, convenient to exchange work as well as other things.
The world of architects, typically Frank Lloyd, thinks that the types of private offices, and closed offices are quite extreme and restrictive. The modern office model with flexible open space will help employees not have to suffer from tight limits like closed rooms.
Characteristics of open office space design
Restriction of partitions
Partitions, walls, doors, etc. will be minimized, giving the company’s office a spacious and airy space, and the aisles will also be expanded more conveniently. This is one of the main features of open-space office design.
Reduce the number of private offices
With the open office space model, the number of private working rooms is quite small. Mainly serving the professional, focused, high-security departments. These can be mentioned as accounting, human resources, customer care, meeting rooms, etc.
Using transparent partitions
The third feature of open-space office design is the use of transparent partitions.
Departments and departments should still be divided by the use of transparent partitions, mezzanine partitions, panels, etc. This will ensure employees work more effectively in a modern office environment with common spaces. wide.
Employees easily see each other
Due to working in an open office environment, employees can easily see their colleagues. Conveniently exchange work as well as capture each other’s working situation. This is one of the ways to optimize open office design effectively.
Open offices will hardly have a lot of private space. The staff here all work together and exchange under a large common space.
Advantages and disadvantages of open office space design
Open space offices have certain advantages and disadvantages that we need to consider below.
Advantages of open office design
- Open office design helps to minimize construction costs and time: Due to not building many separate departments, take advantage of large space to make office areas.
- Minimizing the cost of purchasing office furniture and equipment: Office equipment can be shared in large spaces, thus reducing procurement costs for separate departments.
- Open office space helps to minimize the cost of cleaning and maintaining equipment: With less equipment and machinery, this cost is also saved.
- Easy restructuring: Enterprises can adjust the location and working area, and restructure the office depending on the purpose. This ensures employees always have a suitable workspace when there is a change of personnel or other problems.
- Advantages in monitoring and management: The open office space allows leaders to monitor the work progress as well as the working attitude of junior employees.
- The open-plan office also helps optimize natural light and air conditions: Employees can work under natural light and full air circulation, creating a sense of comfort and ease.
- Open space office for convenient interaction: Employees working together in the same space will easily exchange information. When there is coordination between departments, the work progress is also accelerated.
- Work flexibility: Saving employees’ travel time when they need to work directly with superiors, subordinates, and colleagues.
- Open office space helps promote creativity and work development: An open working environment increases employees’ work efficiency.
- Better health: Reducing stuffiness in closed rooms helps employees work more efficiently and improve their health.
Disadvantages of open office design
- Ethical and legal issues: Open office design does not have much private space, so confidential information is easily leaked and disclosed to the outside. This ethical issue is of great concern.
- Vulnerable to infectious diseases: The common working environment easily creates conditions for bacteria to spread, especially respiratory diseases.
- Easily distracted: Due to working with other departments, it is inevitable that noises such as voices, phone calls, etc. will make the employees, especially in the departments. need quiet in working will lose focus, and reduce work efficiency.
- Open space office will have no privacy: Working in a state of constant surveillance and monitoring will make employees feel more pressured. Besides, your computer screen will always be seen by others at any time.
Purpose of open space office design
The purpose of the open office design is mainly to:
- Open office space facilitates communication for employees: Employees easily interact with each other, capture information faster, and improve co-worker relationships. When you want to exchange work directly with other departments, you don’t have to spend a lot of time traveling.
- Promote work progress, and save costs: Open space with perfect lighting and air conditions inspires employees to work. Team coordination has also since become effective, and creative, and generated many problem-solving ideas. In addition, businesses also save costs for building departments and purchasing furniture.
- Open office space helps to limit private working during working hours: Managers can conveniently monitor the working progress of employees. Employees are also more aware of the company’s discipline.
You can read the previous article here: Office Payment: Expense Accounting
Or follow us on Facebook
Q: What are the legal requirements for lease contracts in Vietnam?
Vietnam has specific legal requirements for lease contracts, such as registration with the local authority and the inclusion of certain clauses, including those related to rent adjustment, termination, and dispute resolution.
Q: What are the different types of lease contracts available in Vietnam?
There are several types of lease contracts available in Vietnam, including commercial office leasing, co-working space lease contracts, and business center lease contracts.
Q: What is an office lease contract?
An office lease contract is a legally binding agreement between a landlord and a tenant, which sets out the terms and conditions for renting office space.